Paul Sperry, the creator of the popular boat shoe design, came up with the fashionable boat shoe while watching his dog. It was winter when he noticed that his dog, Prince, can run across the ice and snow as the dog was able to grip on slippery surfaces. Inspired by the dog’s paw, Paul Sperry made a shoe with “Razor Siping” pattern on the sole of the Sperry Top-Sider boat shoe. It was first introduced in the year 1935. The boat shoes design continuously evolved, because it became popular in America and primarily because of Paul Sperry.
While there are many designs to choose from I still wanted the classic leather upper, so I bought the Angelfish Sport Mesh 2-Eye Boat Shoe.
It is hand-sewn with a padded tongue for comfort and lasting wear
It is made of stain and water-resistant leather
It features a mesh material, making the shoes very sporty
It also has a molded midsole for support and comfort
I like the lace the most, because I find it so classy. This pair is both classy and sporty rolled into one.
Now that you know the comfort that boat shoes could offer our feet and how casual the famous topsider is, here are some ways to wear boat shoes properly. These are just the basics:
1. Women should wear pants lighter than their boat shoes except when the boat shoes they have is white.
2. Women can wear denim skirts, but not dressy skirts since boat shoes are more casual.
3. Darker boat shoes can be paired with bright-colored shorts.
4. Boat shoes can also be paired with t-shirts, long-sleeved shirts, and sweatshirts.
5. Skinny jeans or boot cut jeans can also work for boat shoes.
Written by: Janine Daquio
Edited by: Katrina Pulvera
Photos: Janine Daquio